By EMMA GOULARTE
As we get older, we start to feel the pressure of trying to figure out what we want to do, whether it’s going to college, finding a job, maybe even taking a break from school to explore the world. Our futures are open until we have to decide what path to take, one of the most stressful parts is finding a college that will fit for you in all aspects. Now, if you play sports, that adds another level of stress. You have to email college coaches, send them skills videos, and express your interest in the school. College coaches start recruiting as early as middle school, so finding a school that will give you a good education and somewhere you can play sports can be a stressful process.
Here are some useful tips to make this process less stressful:
- Make sure that the school you are looking at fits for you in all aspects. There are lots of things to consider, such as weather, how far away you want to be from home, if you want to be in a college town, close to the water, if they have your major, or if they have the sports you to play.
- Don’t be afraid to keep emailing coaches. Coaches get so many emails that it is easy for yours to get get lost in the masses. Keep reaching out and express your interest, coaches like it when players are interested.
- You can change your mind. Of course everyone wants to know what they want to do and not knowing can make this decision more stressful than normal. You can change your major and if you major in something and that’s not what you want to do then you can still do what you want. It’s not too late.
- You don’t have to know right out of high school what you want to do. A lot of people shoot for a four-year but if you are unsure you can go to a community college first and get all of your credits so when you go to a four-year you can focus on what you want to major in.
- There is always a place for you if you want to play sports. Most athletes dream of a Division one school, but some people just want to play, they don’t want to play at such a high level. There are so many different levels to play at. There is always a school for you. I know talking to college coaches is stressful and if they don’t respond to you, you start to feel unwanted. Don’t worry, there is someone out there that will see the talent you have and want you. If you aren’t recuted, you can come on to the team as a walk-on, sure it’s harder but lots of athletes do it.
- There is a school for you wherever you want to go. Don’t panic, you have time and you can find a school that fits for you in all aspects.
This process is stressful but you can do whatever you want and go wherever. Just be patient and reach out to coaches, even if they aren’t your first pick because maybe later it will be your number one.