By EMMA GOULARTE
November is the month of mindfulness, and here at Benicia High School we are working on our mindful ways of living. On our school website there are ideas on ways to be mindful. Mindfulness can mean different things to other people, it can mean peace, security, calmness. According to the dictionary mindfulness means, “a mental state achieved by focusing one’s awareness on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting one’s feelings, thoughts, and bodily sensations, used as a therapeutic technique.” There are many different ways to achieve mindfulness and every person decompresses differently, but here are 10 ways that can help you decompress and find mindfulness in yourself.
- Journal. Write down things you are thankful, happy about, love, about future plans. Write down your feelings about joy, sadness, but always end with something positive. It’s good to create a positive job for yourself and you are in charge of you emotions, don’t let other people’s thirty seconds affect your whole day.
- Meditate. Breathe. Everything will be alright. Carve out time in your week to take some “me time” and decompress. Life gets stressful and it’s easy to forget that you have to take time for yourself. It’s easy to get wrapped up in your busy life, but don’t forget to take the time and relax.
- Take a bath. This is a really good way to decompress. Light some candles and let all your worries go away for the time being. It’s also very good for you muscles.
- Exercise. This is a good way to let off steam and it releases endorphins into your body, which makes you feel good. It also has a positive effect on your body.
- Go outdoors. Find a quiet place where you can be alone with your thoughts. Find a place that you feel safe, somewhere you can have fun, but also relax.
- Deep breathing. When you get stressed breathe deep and remember that everything will work out the way it is supposed to. Breathe in for 10 seconds, hold your breath for 5 seconds, then release your breath for 10 seconds. It will give you a sense of calmness.
- Read. Reading can take you away to another place. It is a way to escape.
- Love. Be around positive people who make you feel loved and happy. Surround yourself with family and good friends.
- Disconnect. Leave social media alone, take some time for you and escape from people. Social media makes you are always accessible, it’s okay to want a break. You need to take some me time, and focus on your mental health and wellbeing.
- Distance yourself from things that don’t make you feel good. It’s important to do things that make you happy. Try your best to only do things that bring positive vibes into your life.
It is important to take care of yourself and do you best to be the best human you can be to everyone. Kindness matters and so does your happiness.