Carbon Monoxide Detected In A Daycare In Pennsylvania

By Hannah Lozada 

On October 11, 2022, 27 staff members and kids at Happy Smiles Learning Center daycare in Allentown, Pennsylvania were hospitalized due to carbon monoxide poisoning. At about 7:30 a.m., Firefighters responded to a 911 call from the daycare about an unconscious child. Apon treating the unconscious victim, they noticed their carbon monoxide sensors alerted about the presence of the dangerous gas. A carbon monoxide meter found a dangerously large amount of carbon monoxide inside the daycare. 

Every single ambulance from Allentown came to the scene. Allentown is the third largest city in Pennsylvania, so this was a pressing matter. The firefighters moved the victims to the parking lot. The victims included 25 children and eight adults. There were a total of 27 people who were hospitalized, and as of right now, they are in stable condition. However, there were concerned parents who took their child to the hospital on their own, so this number could increase. 

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 400 Deaths are caused by carbon monoxide poisoning each year in the U.S. This gas is very dangerous because you cannot smell nor see it. It can be produced by burning fuel, fires, car engines, along with other sources. 

Carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to vomiting, dizziness, headaches, chest pain, and other flu-like symptoms. However, higher doses of carbon monoxide can lead to unconsciousness, tissue damage, and even death. 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s